Seeking Righteousness

I heard John Piper say in one of his “ask John Piper” talks a couple of weeks ago that every generation needs to look for holes in their theology. What is it we are missing that we can learn from other generations? For the puritans, they completely missed the boat on slavery. Theologically, especially in America, we are missing the boat on God's grace. 
We have received grace from Jesus to bring about the obedience of faith.
There is obedience involved in the Christian faith. Our obedience doesn't save us, but our obedience is the evidence of our faith and salvation in Jesus Christ. 
I have been very disobedient. I have lived a life with the mindset that God's wrath is in the rear view mirror. That doesn't mean I don't feel guilty over my sin, because I do. It's just that I continue to show a pattern of resting on God's grace in certain areas of my life. 
I know we don't like to talk about "works" or that there are rules to follow, but the reality is that God and Jesus have given us directives. I can honestly say that I don't spend much time thinking about what those directives are and how I should be following them. Maybe that is what the Apostle Paul meant when he said we should be meditating on the word of God day and night. If God's word is on my mind, then my heart and body are going to follow. 
Our worship pastor said something in his sermon last time that has stuck with me. If we pray and read our bibles more, we will sin less. 
Legalism is often a term we use far to often to excuse our behavior. This is the hole in our theology. 
Seek after his righteousness, and all these things shall be added unto you. 
Seek God's righteousness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

She went Skyyyyydivin.....

some thoughts before bedtime

thirtysomething